Monday, November 1, 2010

Patience is a virtue...

*this is a long post. so if your in a hurry, you should probably just come back later :)

I remember my grandfather quoting this proverb to me a VERY long time ago. I have no earthly idea as to why or in what context, but I do know that it has seriously stuck with me since then. I find myself using it all the time while hanging out with my dog (pathetic and weird you say? why yes. probably so) because she has such an insane amount of energy and is always ready to move onto the next thing at speeds that I cannot even fathom. Anywho, I find myself relating this insanely brilliant proverb to many aspects of my life right now. Not only do I HAVE to use it while I am in the schools with kids, but my most recent epiphany (brace yourselves Mom & Dad...this is mature stuff right here) is that patience is essentially a way of life. So often I find myself beyooooond frustrated in so many aspects of my life (lack of a boyfriend, anyone? losing the freshman **??? This number is obviously for my knowledge only). Sure, I can speed things up with losing weight, but only to a certain extent. And I am pretty sure that I should leave the whole "boyfriend" thing up to God. I'm confident that he knows what he's doing.

When I have told people that know me pretty well that I am majoring in Special Education, they all kind of seem to get quiet and just nod their heads in approval. Because, you know, thats the socially correct thing to do and everything. With which I respond "I know, its really weird seeing as I am a pretty impatient person. (laughing & joking around may ensue) But I have just loved working with them so far and I actually have more patience for students in Special Education than I do for general ed students" which, i'm sure if you asked some of my classmates, they would probably agree that this is the case for them as well. Most people who arent familiar with these children would say they dont know any better when they misbehave or act like they dont know the answer...quite the contrary my friends, quite the contrary.

STORY TIME! For example, last week while working one-on-one with one of my (favorite) students Kristin* on a Dora the Explorer numbers worksheet (mind you she is probably about 14 or 15...the students are more likely to participate when it involves something they know/love), Kristin decided that she "didnt know" what number came after 2...and then again the number that came after 5. One of the parapro's looked at me and said "dont let her make you think she doesnt know the answer...she does." So we sat there. And I told Kristin that we would sit there until she wrote the correct number in the blank (after 2 and 5.) So after awhile, and by awhile I mean about 5 solid minutes of Kristin (eventually) telling me what number came next but not writing the number down, I told her to look at me (in a nice voice...not one that would be used by my Mom if I were in trouble) and said "I KNOW you can write the numbers, so please do it." Y'ALL. She did it. And it was plausible. I was silently thinking to myself...OH. MY. GOSH. I know this is what I am supposed to be doing. Small victories like this are SO worth the 5 (or more) minutes of practicing said proverb written (way) above. High fives and "thumbs up" were then rewarded in abundancy as Kristin looooves to be given a thumbs up, and absolutely laughs her face off when you high five her & act like it really hurt your hand. Once again...the little things in life :)


*names have been changed for the protection of privacy. and so I do not face a law suit of some sort.

No comments:

Post a Comment