Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I'm Leavin on a Jet Plane...

Oh the title of this post brings back so many memories of Camp Glisson. So many nights spent singin' on the stone porch of the ooooolllllddd dining hall worshiping and laughing. If they ever tear that dining hall down, I will cry.

So in case you forgot, I am studying abroad in BELIZE this month. SO. FREAKIN. EXCITED. We have class this week until Thursday, after which I will travel (and pray that I dont hit traffic) up to ATL. For anyone who hasn't had the INCREDIBLE privilege of driving in Atlanta traffic...well, let me just tell you that you are missing out on what might be the greatest new driver learning experience in the US. Breaking would be the key lesson in this experience.

Okay, beside the point, IM GOING TO BELIZE!!! I am just so excited. I find myself in little spurts of excitement throughout the day. I'm sure these will increase as Saturday (departure day) approaches.

We will be staying in the town of San Ignacio for the first ten days, then heading to San Pedro, located on the beautiful island of Ambergris Caye (pronounced Amber-gree Key.) San Ignacio is much more inland and basically in the Belize forest. I dont want to say rainforest, which is a very likely possibility, but I'm not sure if it is in the ACTUAL rainforest. Cant wait to see on Saturday :)



We will be student teaching/learning about how the teachers and students there get by with a much smaller amount of resources than teachers here do. The goal of the trip is to learn to "make-do" with what you have to teach with, and being resourceful in lesson plans. We ARE taking art supplies with us to incorporate the arts (actual "art", writing, drama, etc) into lessons, since the class that is associated with the study abroad will satisfy the arts portion of my transcript. I am SO SO excited to get to know the kids and my host teacher(s). I am in a 5th grade classroom which will be such a nice change from my 3 year olds I just had. Kids that can go stand in front of the toilet without wetting themselves before pulling down their pants to put it in the toilet? Yes please.

Aside from all of the AWESOME excursions we will be doing (Mayan Ruin's, Caving, Snorkeling), I am so excited to implement the lessons that my cohort-student-partner and I came up with today in class. If ANYONE (since so many people read my blog) has any ideas for 5th graders (games, lessons, etc) let me know! Belize has their own set of standards, but they are pretty much the same thing as ours in in Georgia and the US.

Also, does anyone else see the grey background of my posts? I have tried to fix it with no such luck. Any suggestions? Or maybe its just me and/or my computer...

Is it bad that it is 7:45pm and I want to go to go to bed? Don't answer that.

The next time you hear from me I will likely be in Belize!!!

Peace & Love, friends!
Chels


1 comment:

  1. Belize is so fun. I actually went to both San Ignacio and San Pedro on vacation. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete